Financial Disclosure

What am I entitled to receive and required to provide?

Financial Disclosure/

What am I entitled to receive and required to provide?

Jessica A. MacDonald 28 February 2017

In family law matters, updated and complete financial information is necessary. Both parties need this information in order to have clear understanding as to their joint and individual financial circumstances and in order to properly negotiate or litigate child support, spousal support or matrimonial property issues. If the parties are unable to agree between them as to the information to be exchanged, then a party may file a Court Application in Provincial Court (known as a “Request for Financial Information”) or in the Court of Queen’s Bench (known as a “Notice to Disclose/Application).

Full financial disclosure generally includes at least the following information:

  1. Income Tax Returns for the last 3 years;
  2. Notices of Assessment and/or Reassessment for the last 3 years;
  3. If an employee, a copy of each of the 3 most recent statements of earnings;
  4. Statement of Income from employment insurance, social assistance, a pension, worker's compensation, disability payments, or dividends;
  5. Statement of total amount of student funding;
  6. If self-employed in an unincorporated business, copies of every cheque issued to you in last 6 weeks from any corporation or business in which you have an interest; financial statements for 3 most recent taxation years; and a statement of all salaries, wages, management fees or other payment or benefits paid for 3 most recent taxation years;
  7. If a partner in a partnership, confirmation of income, draws and capital in partnership for 3 most recent taxation years;
  8. If you have 1% or more interest in a privately held corporation, the financial statements for 3 most recent taxation years, a statement showing a breakdown of all salaries, wages, management fees or other payments or benefits for 3 most recent taxation years, and a record showing shareholder's loan transactions for the past 12 months;
  9. Where child support is an issue, a detailed list of any special or extraordinary expenses claimed;
  10. If a beneficiary under a trust, a copy of the trust settlement agreement and copies of the trust's 3 most recent financial statements;
  11. Copies of all bank account statements for most recent 6 months;
  12. Copies of credit card statements for most recent 6 months;
  13. A monthly budget of expenses;
  14. A sworn itemized list of your income, assets and liabilities;
  15. Copies of most recent statement for all RRSPs, pensions, term deposit certificates, GICs, stock accounts and other investments;
  16. A list of any exemptions claimed.

In some circumstances, less or additional information may be required. For example, if you are already divorced and you are only looking to vary support obligations, only #1-9 in the above list would need to be exchanged.

Depending on your specific circumstances, it may not be clear as to what you are required to provide and what you are entitled to receive with respect to financial information. If that’s the case, a family law lawyer can assist. We are available to assist parties in Calgary and surrounding areas, including Airdrie, Brooks, Carstairs, Chestermere, Cochrane, Okotoks, Olds, Priddis, Red Deer and more.

Contact Us

Stay up–to–date

Roger G. Rouault 21 September 2017

Child Support and Undue Hardship

Child support is crucial for ensuring that children have the financial support they need. However, the cost of supporting a child can be quite expensive. For parents struggling to make their child sup…

Enrique Dubon-Roberts 4 September 2017

Rights of Common Law Couples During a Break Up

We often hear the term “common law couples” used for non-married couples in Alberta.  Common-law couples have different rights than married couples upon the breakdown of a relationship.  The rig…

Diana J. Richmond 30 August 2017

Independent Legal Advice: Is it Necessary for Divorce?

With various divorce processes having the potential to cost a lot of money, it’s no surprise that many divorcing couples seek ways to keep their costs to a minimum. To do this, many chose to prepare…

Debra J. Price 8 August 2017


The Dispute Resolution Officer program was first introduced in Calgary in 2001 as a pilot project.  It is now, and has been for many years, mandatory in both Calgary and Edmonton prior to any child s…

Alison J. Chickloski 4 August 2017

Negotiation, Mediation or Arbitration in Family Law: Which is Best?

When parties separate and commence the divorce process or when they decide to settle support or parenting matters, many times they advise their family lawyer that they do not want to end up in court o…